This product is no longer in stock
Kalmegh / Kariyat / Nilavembu Powder
Tamil : Nilavembu - நிலவேம்பு
Malayalam : cara-caniram, kiriyat
Hindi : Kalmegh,chara-yetah, chirata
Telugu : karivaemu, nela vemu, nelavaemu, nelavemu, velavemu
Botanical : Andrographis Paniculata
Andrographis paniculata is erect plant with height of 30–110 cm. Its stem is slender dark green, squared in cross-section with longitudinal furrows and wings along the angles. The lance-shaped leaves have hairless blades measuring up to 8 centimeters long by 2.5 wide. The small flowers are borne in spreading racemes. The fruit is a capsule around 2 cm long and a few mm wide. It contains many yellow brown seeds.
1. Chronic fever : Kalmegh is an effective herb for treating chronic fever. Viral fever affects liver badly. In such cases use of Kalmegh protects liver and helps in faster recovery. For medicinal purpose whole plant is used.
For treating chronic fever, or fever due to any reason, collect whole Kalmegh plant. Clean it and dry in shade. Prepare decoction by boiling 3-4 gm of it in glass of water till water reduces to one fourth. Drink this decoction twice a day. Since it is bitter in taste you may add misri or sugar.
2. Liver related problems, Infection in intestine : Kalmegh is especially useful in treating liver related diseases. It exhibits hepatoprotective and hepatostimulative property. In traditional medicine system aqueous extract of Kalmegh leaves is given for jaundice. For treating liver problems, jaundice, take leaves of Kalmegh (1 gm), Bhumi amla/Tamalki (1-2 gm powder), mulethi / liquorice (2 gm) in 200 ml water. Boil till water reduces to 50 ml. Then filter and drink.
3. Chronic constipation, Indigestion, abdominal gas : Take amla powder (2 gm), kalmegh (2 gm), mulethi (2 gm) and make decoction by boiling in 400 ml water till water reduces to 100 ml. Filter and drink.
4. Diarrhoea, gas and low appetite in children : Take leaves of kalmegh and cook in water till it thickens. Then add jaggery. When it cools down make small pills. Give these pills to children in diarrhoea, gas and liver related problems.
5. Skin problems : Kalmegh has blood purifying property. It removes toxins from blood and hence helps in treatment of skin diseases. For treating skin diseases, soak amla/Indian gooseberry (2 gm) and kalmegh (3 gm) in a glass of water at night. Next morning filter and drink.
Boiled 200 ml of water and mix 1 spoon of this powder and it should be boiled till the total water quantity in the vessel reduces 100 ml.after u filter that morning 50 ml evening 50ml.for children morning 25 ml evening 25 ml.
There are no known side effects with this herb. Seek medical advice for its use during pregnancy.
Harvesting & Manufacturing Methodology:
All our herbs are Harvested Organically, dried, and pulverized with no chemical interactions ensuring 100% natural herbal powders.
The information on the Site is provided for educational or information purposes only; please consult your own healthcare practitioner before use